Thursday, April 10, 2008

Back to reality...


Yes, that's what today was after my brief otherwordly experience yesterday. I'm a bit sore! :)


The boys and I hung around the house today after I got Joel from preschool this morning because we were sort of having a mini blizzard. We got 6 or 7 inches of snow, at least, but have drifts of over 18 inches in some places. Crazy! That's spring in Colorado...


Joel had a tough day today, and I think it was even tougher for his mommy. One of his biggest struggles is being able to play. I know that sounds weird for a 3 year old, but it comes along with the territory of autism. He has little imagination or pretend play skills, so that limits things. He also has a really short attention span and a huge need for sensory input--not a great combo. He rarely will go into the playroom and play appropriately with a toy or activity. Even if I get him started or stay with him the whole time and "guide" him. He just gets up and moves around and engages in less than appropriate activities like throwing (everything), touching off-limits electronics and appliances, knocking Jesse's toys off the table or yanking them away from him, etc. It is so draining for me to be trying to "redirect" him all day when he's not the least bit interested in anything I'd like him to do. His much more favorite activity is defying everything I ask him to do. Timeout count today=I lost count after 15. Spankings today=I don't know but I think it's close to the number of timeouts. I feel really discouraged on days like this. I just wish I could help his little brain function correctly in the area of having fun.


One thing he does love to do is eat. So, in a desperate attempt, I decided we should make popcorn balls. He actually was sort of patient while we did it (it took longer than I thought) and he and Jesse really enjoyed the results (okay, so did mommy!). As we were munching away, I thought with a giggle that this is another one of those things that is so different with a second child. I NEVER would have given Joel a popcorn ball at 19 months. Too sweet. Too chokable (is that a word?). Too sticky. But, desperate times call for desperate measure and Jesse was the first to finish his!


No comments: