Thursday, February 21, 2008

Public Service Announcement

I haven't blogged about this yet, but since I'm passionate about it and the issue just came up again at the doctor, I'll share. Ever since Joel was diagnosed with autism and we've been researching causes, factors, treatments, etc., we've been studying vaccinations. Many parents of children with autism claim their child "changed" (for the worse) after they received their vaccines (usually at 12 or 18 months). I didn't notice an extreme regression in Joel, although it was generally around the same time. My point is not that vaccines cause autism (who really knows what causes it?).

BUT, it did get me researching vaccines--what's in them, when and why are they given, and why they were created. What I have found has left me SO disturbed--toxic ingredients, high "failure" rates, short-term and long-term systemic damage, etc. I could go into lots and lots of details, if any of you are interested or want some resources, make a comment and we can chat about it. But the one thing that I wish I could convince everyone of is to look at the vaccine schedule. We vaccinate babies at 2, 4, 6, 12, and 18 months with anywhere from 10-14 vaccines EACH time. That can't be the wisest thing to do to an immune system that isn't completely developed yet. We don't know yet what widespread damage could be done by this since administering that many vaccines is relatively new. What studies are showing though, is that the increase of autoimmune diseases has been exponential since the increase in vaccines. Is this because the immune system has been damaged early on?

I'm not telling people not to vaccinate--that is a very personal and sometimes controversial decision. But what you can do is change the vaccine schedule. Don't get all of the shots at once--you can space them out, delay them until kindergarten (or any time you are ready--some pediatricians recommend starting at 6 or 12 months), and even skip the ones that are not as important. It's not an "all or nothing and right now" deal. And, NEVER vaccinate if your child is ill or has recently been ill (even with just a mild cold). There, that's it. That's how I feel. That's the beauty of having my own blog.

No comments: