Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Busy little bees

Yes, that's what we've been! We moved Jesse into his new room tonight (our old guest bedroom). Originally his new room was going to be Joel's room--they were going to be bedroom buddies. However, after careful thought, I have decided that's not the best thing for them right now. Jesse still has different sleep patterns than Joel, and is also much more introverted than Joel.

In typical Joel fashion (after we'd been out all day), he asked me after naptime, "Where are we going tonight? What friend's house are we going to?" And he doesn't like the answer to be that we are staying home. Every morning when he wakes up he asks me where we are going that morning, and he does the same thing after nap time.

Jesse, on the other hand, prefers to just stay at home and play. All that to say--Jesse still needs a little space from his often smothering, seriously extroverted brother.

Sorry future guests at the Hicks' household. It's back to the futon for you. I just decided that our family sanity day to day is more important than having a guestroom that is rarely used.

Anyhoo....back to Jesse's room. I wasn't really going to decorate it, but I wanted to make the little guy feel special, not like he just got booted out of his room for the new baby. So, Zac and I painted a mural on his wall, painted an old dresser, and bought him some new curtains and a bean bag. The paint was all colors that we already had and the whole makeover was a whopping $30!! I'll post pictures later, Zac has the camera at work.

He's really such a chill kid (except for that independent streak that's cropping up all to often these days) that it doesn't seem to phase him one bit. Zac then pointed out that he has actually slept for almost half of his life in a closet so he's not that picky about his accomodations. The closet thing was when he was a baby and still nursing (in a bassinet in our closet--close enough to get there easily, but with a door to close so we didn't hear his noisy sleeping), when we lived with my parents last summer (and every time we visit now), and when we had company that stayed in his room. The pack n' play really is like his second home.

So, that's what we've been up to. That, along with the 5 preschool orientations I have attended in the past week (Yes, I only have 2 kids in preschool--I'm still trying out why I had to attend so many. It's complicated.).

I also made my official final "nesting to do list" this afternoon. It's a doozie but I think we can get it all done. Item 1 was completed tonight--move Jesse. We are coming upon the home stretch and are getting excited!

No comments: