Friday, July 10, 2009

It shouldn't hurt.

So I want to know where medical professionals get some of their information. Because if it's not firsthand experience, then I'm always kind of leery.

"It shouldn't hurt". That's what the nurse at my retinal doctor's office told me about the laser treatment yesterday. Hmmm...that's very nice. Have YOU ever had this done?

Not my experience at all.

Let's just say I hope I never have to do that again. While my doctor was performing the laser torture, I mean treatment, he was telling me how some people just cannot handle it and have to have to be sedated and have it done at a hospital. He kept asking me if I was okay and I bravely told him to just keep going, thinking it had to be over any minute now.

Sheesh. Having someone push really firmly and directly on my eyeball with a glass ball-like thing, while shining a hugely bright light into my eye and then flashing even brighter lights intermittently that felt like I was being given repeated shots...yeah, didn't hurt a bit. Whatever.

Going into it, I thought nothing would compare to having a 1 inch piece of metal stitched onto my eye and left there for a week (my radiation treatment). And of course, this wasn't that bad. But, I'm not going to beg for him to do it again.

We are praying for success and for a true stabilization of the bleeding and swelling that has been occuring in my eye.

And just for the record, it was yeterday and today I feel completely fine :).

1 comment:

Kim Anderson said...

Agggh! My mom had laser surgery a couple of years ago and asked me to come to drive her home afterwards. It was a sort of walk-with-me request that included wanting me to watch the whole thing on enormous video screens.

Sure looked like it hurt to me! And if it didn't really, why did they offer every patient a stuffed animal to squeeze if they were uncomfortable? Hmmm...

Im glad you're feeling better!