Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Eight years.


Happy Anniversary to my wonderful husband! It's been 8 years. In some ways it feels like 1 or 2, but when I think back on all that has happened in the past 8 years, it feels like many more than that.

When Zac and I got engaged, we were both very young. He was 20 and I was 21. It seemed like such a huge step to take, but we both felt like we were ready. Not necessarily ready for all of the little things that would come along as challenges (we knew God would walk us through those when the time came), but ready to commit to a lifetime together. A life that was soon to unfold before our eyes. We wouldn't know the daily details, the mountaintops or the valleys. What we did know was that we trusted each other to remain committed, and we trusted each other's character. That was really what we found to be most important--is this someone that I respect, trust, and can honor for the rest of my life?

And I must say, that Zac has been that and so much more. He is a man of incredible character. I could glimpse this before we were married, but am still realizing the full extent of it today.

He is honest. He is hardworking--won't quit until the job is done to the best of his ability. He is conscientious. He is funny. He loves me unconditionally. He loves our boys deeply. He is organized. He is future thinking but always lives in the moment. He is committed to providing for our family, in many ways. He encourages me and challenges me, pointing out my weaknesses, while still praising my strengths.

I praise God for giving me Zac as a husband. And I pray for 80 more years.

Side note: I do not thank Zac for giving me his cold, which came on last night. Now it feels like I have a terrible head cold on top of the stomach flu (thank you, pregnancy). Bummer. But you know what, we will still celebrate tonight--even if it just means being able to comfort each other in our afflictions. Haha! Isn't that a true reflection of what marriage sometimes is?

No comments: