Saturday, March 1, 2008

Definitely not boring.

For the past few years, I've been looking for things to get a little "boring" in our lives. That may sound weird, but we've had so much change, difficulty, and trials that I would sort of like to settle in a status quo. Not happening.


Jesse has had a little cold for over two weeks. However, in the last 5 days it's been accompanied by a cough and fever. I dutifully took him to the doctor on Thursday--hoping that he'd feel better for us to move into our busy weekend. We left with a sinus infection and antibiotics. His fever hasn't gone away. It's actually gone up, slowly. I'm doing the motrin thing but this morning, he comes up to me and is shaking. His lips are blue. His hands are blue. And I panicked. I called the doctor (hooray for doctors who have Saturday hours--this is new for us). They said to bring him right in. I throw the kids in the car.


Side note: Joel's biggest concern at this moment is that he doesn't have his shoes on. I assured him that I did bring them. I told him that Mommy was scared because Jesse is sick. We've been working on helping him with the concept of empathy and he had a victory today! He said in a very kind voice, "Don't worry, Mommy. Everything is going to be okay". So nice, huh? And it actually helped me calm down.


Anyway, Jesse's fever was 103 so we did more Motrin and the doctor said just to continue with that and the antibiotic. It should run it's course. If not, call me back. Sometimes I think I could be a doctor. It seems like that's all I ever hear from them.


Just yesterday, in fact, I was writhing in bed with HORRIBLE stomach pain for 24 hours (and fever and nausea). I finally pulled myself off the couch to go to the doctor, which is a big deal for me. I don't like to go for myself since I spend so much time there with my kids. Anyway, all he said was, "it should run it's course, although I don't know what IT is. If IT gets worse, go to the ER." Oh, okay. Thanks. Here's your $30.


So, we're all home resting and recovering from mystery illnesses. Except Joel. He took advantage of my weakened state and put inordinate amounts of lip gloss all over his face and clothes.
Oh, and I think I forgot to mention that I also broke my nose on Tuesday. Yep. It hurts and was quite bruised and swollen. Believe it or not, I am not too concerned about this because it's the third time I've broken it (I know, weird). I used to think that I had an okay looking nose, but not really anymore. I think permanent damage has occured after 3 injuries to it.

1 comment:

Sam said...

I have the same experience with doctors... I have to have an illness that lasts an inordinatley LONG time or causes extreme pain before I even consider going to see mine, because I usually get the 5 minute session and maybe a recommendation, maybe not, and I feel really silly for paying that copay, waiting all that time, for 5 minutes of non-advice. I kind of like the nurse advice lines they have now, because you can get the same marginal/that's what I've been doing advice without paying and without leaving home.