Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Now what?

It's hard for me to schedule and make time for things like teeth cleanings, routine doctor's visits, eye exams, haircuts, etc... They all seem to fall into the category of "important but not important enough to make me schedule them with consistency. I'm not sure if it's because I don't want to spend the money, or I just don't like going (I think it's the former...seriously, $75 to count the boys teeth and give them a little polish?! I could do that at home :).

All that to say, I made an appointment with a new oncologist and Zac and I went this morning while the boys were in preschool (yes, possibly my last free morning before baby comes). Some new research has come to my attention and I've realized I need to take my cancer follow-up a little more seriously.

I will make a long story short and just say we didn't click with the doctor. The words condescending, unaware of current info (which is somewhat understandable since my cancer type is so rare), wouldn't listen to me, and didn't answer my questions, are a few phrases that are at the top of my mind. And just in case I thought I was crazy, when we stepped into the elevator, Zac said, "We've got to find a new doctor. I'm so angry I almost walked out of there."

It's not that I am living my life in fear now. I really do trust God and his plans for my life. But for some reason he has given me some new information about this cancer and access to resources and testing that could be extremely helpful. I'm 29 years old with a wonderful husband and 3 little boys (almost). I don't think it's wrong to want to be a a little proactive about things.

So, now I must find a new oncologist, and continue to pray that I will find someone compassionate who hears my concerns and will partner with me on this journey.

No comments: