Monday, April 5, 2010

5 years ago.

5 years ago this week...

We were adjusting to life with a 3 month old baby who had colic, reflux, and reactive airway disease.

Zac was desperately trying to finish his M.Div. degree at Denver Seminary.

I was a new mom desperately trying to get three consecutive hours of sleep and make it through the day without crying.

We were living in a little condo in north Denver.

I was diagnosed with cancer.

Life become so complicated in a matter of months, and we felt like we were bobbing below the surface of the water, just trying to get enough quick breaths of air to stay alive.

Here's our little family then:



This week:

Our 3 month old then is now 5 years and 3 months old, and getting ready to start kindergarten. He'll be in a regular classroom and is fighting the disease of autism. Tonight he wrote a story for me about how much he loves me!

Zac is now an ordained pastor and released his first album this past fall. He's amazing and it's so neat to see the seeds that God was planting in college and graduate school coming to fruition.

I am now a "seasoned" mom with four little people to care for, and still desperately trying to get 3 consecutive hours of sleep (ha!). Crying is now quite the norm in our household, although I'm happy to say that 98% of it isn't coming from me :).

We are living in a house that is just perfect for us in south Denver.

I am cancer-free and had one very encouraging doctor visit today. Apparently with my type of cancer, the 6 year mark is when my risk for the cancer spreading goes WAY down, but 5 sure is a good sign and we are praising God!! I've adjusted quite easily to the loss of vision and it doesn't slow me down one bit.

So thankful yesterday, singing praises to God in church on Easter, and standing amazed at the power of the cross. About what it means for us eternally, but also what it means for us in this life. There will most definitely be suffering, but we are never left in that place. Christ has secured for us an eternal victory and with that hope, we can worship him here in the valleys and on the mountaintops--whatever the years may bring.

Here's our expanded family 3 weeks ago when Zac baptized Bronwyn:



It's a little hard to get us all in a picture these days. I'll try and get some up from Easter soon. :)

1 comment:

Our Family said...

So thankful you had a good doctor's visit! Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday!
Michelle
www.alwaysgrowing.me