Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wouldn't ya know?

Zac and I have been looking forward to "escaping" our normal lives at home to lead worship at a conference in the mountains this week. We've been planning this for almost 7 months and were excited the time was finally here.

We convinced my parents they would do a most wonderful job taking care of all 3 boys, left adequate instructions, and hit the road (with a car full of sound gear!). And wouldn't you know, not 2 hours after we'd left, I got a call from my mom that Joel had a fever.

What?! I promise I am not lying when I say he seemed PERFECTLY fine when we left. Really. They had a rough 2 days with him and then he was on the mend.

Then I got a call this morning that now Brody is having one nasty (I won't go into details) diaper after another, with a mild fever of his own. My poor mom was up several times overnight changing and comforting him...just when they probably thought they were up for a good night's sleep.

Why does this always seem to happen? When they watched the boys while we were in the hospital after I delivered Brody, they were very sick then too. And that wasn't the first time they'd been left with sick kids, either. I am beginning to fear that they will never want to watch my kids again! Zac said this morning, it would be fun if we could do this again next year. To which I quickly replied, I don't think anyone will be up to watching our FOUR children....we don't have a great track record. It's hard enough doing this when everyone is healthy, it's even stressful for me to do it if someone is not well.

Oh my. Life still continues, despite our perfect plans, doesn't it? Hopefully we will return home, late tonight, and feel refreshed and ready to take on the extra "challenges" at home right now!

No comments: